Gratitude is a way of being aware and thankful for the positive things that happen. When life is hard, it can be easy to forget that many things are still going well.
A gratitude journal is a tool for practicing gratitude. It involves writing down things for which one is thankful or appreciative.
- Find a notebook that you want to write in. Keep it somewhere where you will use it each day like next to the bed.
- Pick a time to write each day: usually first thing in the morning or before going to sleep works best.
- When the time arrives, open up the journal and write about the things for which you are grateful.
- Simple things like: A sunny day, A show you watched, A good meal
- Big things like: Family, Love, Health, Adventure
- Simply write 1-3 things down for which you are grateful. Of course you can write more if you like.
- Consider re-reading the journal each week.
Focusing and writing these things down can make a big difference. When we train ourselves in gratitude, we pay more attention to the positive parts of life.