A feeling of control is important for wellness. Given the uncertainty of the world and our surroundings, the easiest thing to control is ourselves and our reactions.
A Space is a visualization exercise to control our reactions.
We often have automatic responses and reactions to hard things that happen. These reactions are often directed by emotions and habits, and sometimes can cause harm to ourselves or others.
- The first step toward changing negative responses is to notice them.
1. Take a moment to consider the quotation below:
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”
-Victor Frankl, Austrian Psychiatrist
2. Visualize this Space around or inside yourself. Let the Space take whatever form makes sense to you.
3. Take 5 Minutes to think about and appreciate this Space.
This space can become a useful tool. Next time feel attacked by events from the outside, try to visualize that space before finding your response.
- Viktor Frankl's Book Man's Search for Meaning - a quintessential look at satisfaction, meaning, and resilience.